Thursday, January 29, 2015

Fabric paper towels

For the past few years, I have been trying to eliminate some of the paper products we buy and use. A few years ago, I made a basketful of cloth napkins with the hopes of not buying any more napkins. With the exception of cute napkins for the grandkids' birthday celebrations, we've done a good job at using the cloth napkins. They add very little to the laundry load and remarkably haven't gotten as stained as I thought they might. So, I decided the next step was to buy fewer paper towels. (I know that I'll still buy paper towels, but hopefully in a much smaller quantity.) I wash my hands a lot during the day, and I don't love having a damp dishtowel sitting around, especially since you never know what else has been wiped up with it since I last used it. I'd seen several blogposts about fabric paper towels, complete with snaps on the corners to put them together and roll them up. I didn't really want to add "snap towels together" to my daily to-do list, so I eliminated that step. I decided they could share a basket on the counter with my dish rags. I used waffle weave cotton fabric and white flour sack towel fabric on the back of pretty fabrics. I made a dozen and will see how quickly I use them up in a day. I also will see which backing fabric I like best.



2 comments:

  1. That's such a good idea! I haven't bought paper napkins in forever myself, and I love using something reusable rather than paper towels. I bought a bunch of square cotton cloths before the baby was born and use those a lot, too, so I can imagine how useful yours would be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting, Christina! I've really liked them so far. They remind me a lot of the burp cloths I made when my first grandbaby was born. I didn't realize the similarity until I was taking them out of the dryer. Brought back good memories! :)

    ReplyDelete